Embarking on a journey through both untamed trails and smooth highways? Discover why the Firestone Destination AT2 might just be the sturdy ally your vehicle has been longing for.
The Firestone Destination AT2 is an all-terrain tire acclaimed for its remarkable dry grip, agile steering, and cozy ride, securing its spot as a top selection in the all-terrain tire category. However, it does reveal a minor area for improvement under icy circumstances.
In this review, we’ll delve into the crucial features, performance metrics, and potential drawbacks of the Firestone Destination AT2. Additionally, we’ll compare it with other all-terrain tire options to aid you in crafting a thoroughly informed decision.
Firestone Destination XT
Find The Best Price
Key Performance Metrics
Dirt Grip: 9.1 of 10
Mud Grip: 8.6 of 10
Sand Grip: 8.5 of 10
Rock Grip: 8.7 of 10
Hydroplaning: 8.5 of 10
Wet Grip: 8.5 of 10
Cornering: 8.9 of 10
Dry Grip: 9.3 of 10
Responsiveness: 9.0 of 10
Mild Snow Grip: 8.9 of 10
Heavy Snow Grip: 8.7 of 10
Ice Grip: 7.0 of 10
Comfort Level: 8.5 of 10
Road Noise: 8.3 of 10
Description & Review
The Firestone Destination AT2 emerges as a noteworthy contender in the all-terrain tire sector, crafted to deliver consistent performance across an array of terrains and weather scenarios. This tire is not just a mere link between your vehicle and the pavement; it’s a carefully designed element aimed at enhancing your driving experience, whether you’re navigating through challenging trails or smoothly sailing on highways.
A prominent feature of the Destination AT2 is its all-encompassing all-terrain capabilities. Developed to ensure steadfast performance across diverse terrains – from dirt and mud to rocky environments – this tire establishes itself as a genuine all-rounder. It provides a harmonious blend of dirt, sand, mud, and rock grip, positioning it as a favored option for both adventurers and everyday drivers. Its all-terrain capabilities ensure you can boldly navigate off-road trails without sacrificing on-road performance.
In addition, its performance in wet conditions is worth highlighting. The Destination AT2 is not solely about sheer performance; it’s also about guaranteeing safety and stability in demanding conditions. The tire is crafted to mitigate hydroplaning and provide substantial wet grip, ensuring a safe, assured ride during rainy conditions. This emphasis on wet performance does not sacrifice its dry performance, establishing it as a balanced option for those who require excellence in every situation.
Furthermore, the tire also excels in terms of comfort and noise level. In a time where driving comfort is crucial, the Destination AT2 is engineered to minimize road noise and vibrations, thereby offering a smooth, silent ride. This is not only beneficial for your comfort but also aids in maintaining a tranquil driving environment, making the tire a considerate option for drivers who prioritize comfort.
The Firestone Destination AT2 carves out its place as a significant all-terrain tire, showcasing a splendid mix of sturdy performance across varied terrains and appreciable durability. With solid ratings across vital performance metrics, particularly in dirt, sand, and rock grip, there is minimal to critique about this tire, positioning it as a reliable companion for your off-road escapades. Its excellent grip, responsiveness, and stability in various conditions elevate it as a dependable choice for drivers, ensuring a blend of dependability and performance on their journeys through rugged terrains and on the highway.
Notably, the Firestone Destination AT2 doesn’t just shine in our review but is also celebrated among actual buyers. It rates among the best off-road all-terrain tires according to genuine buyer feedback, underscoring its real-world performance and reliability across various conditions and uses. This aligns it not only as a theoretical top performer but a practical, user-verified choice for all-terrain applications.
DRY WEATHER PERFORMANCE
In dry conditions, the Firestone Destination AT2 showcases its prowess:
- Dry Grip: With a Dry Grip rating of 9.3, this tire provides exceptional traction, marking itself as a trustworthy option for dry weather driving.
- Responsiveness: Scoring a 9.1 in Responsiveness, the tire reacts quickly to steering inputs, thanks to its advanced construction and reinforced build.
WET WEATHER PERFORMANCE
The tire also demonstrates strong capabilities in wet conditions:
- Hydroplaning Resistance: With a Hydroplaning rating of 8.6, the tire’s design skillfully reduces the risk of hydroplaning, ensuring a safe journey on wet surfaces.
- Wet Grip: While its wet performance is slightly less outstanding than its dry performance, the tire still scores a solid 8.8 in Wet Grip, making it a reliable option during rainy weather.
The tire exhibits proficient performance in winter conditions:
- Mild Snow Grip: With a Mild Snow Grip rating of 8.9, the tire delivers commendable performance in light snow, ensuring stability and control.
- Heavy Snow and Ice Grip: Scoring 8.5 and 7.8 in Heavy Snow and Ice Grip respectively, the tire provides significant grip and stands as a reliable companion in harsh winter conditions.
RIDE COMFORT AND NOISE LEVEL
- Comfort Level: With a Comfort Level rating of 8.9, the tire ensures a smooth and comfortable ride, enhancing the overall driving experience.
- Road Noise: While the tire generally provides a quiet experience, it has a Road Noise rating of 8.6, indicating that it maintains a serene environment even at higher speeds.
TREAD WEAR AND LONGEVITY
The Firestone Destination AT2 showcases admirable performance in terms of tread wear and longevity. Its robust construction and innovative tread design contribute to its durability, making it a cost-effective and long-lasting option across various driving conditions.
- Exceptional All-Terrain Performance: Outstanding grip across various terrains, including dirt, sand, and rocks.
- Impressive Wet Weather Handling: Strong hydroplaning resistance and wet grip ensure a safe and stable ride in the rain.
- Comfortable Driving Experience: Prioritizes driving comfort with minimized road noise and vibrations.
- Ice Grip: While still commendable, the ice grip at 7.8 indicates there’s room for improvement in icy conditions.
Firestone Destination AT2 Problems
While the Firestone Destination AT2 showcases proficiency in various dimensions, it’s vital to also illuminate some potential downsides that have been underscored by users.
One domain where the Destination AT2 could see improvement is its performance on icy surfaces. Although the tire provides respectable traction in both mild and heavy snow, with ratings of 8.9 and 8.5 respectively, it demonstrates a somewhat lower performance on ice, securing a score of 7.8. For drivers who frequently traverse icy roads, particularly in severe winter conditions, this might be a significant consideration.
In general, the Destination AT2 offers a comfortable driving experience, boasting a Comfort Level rating of 8.9. However, some users have reported experiencing perceptible noise levels at higher speeds, which is mirrored in its Road Noise rating of 8.6. While the noise isn’t overly intrusive, it may be a point of concern for those sensitive to tire noise or for those who regularly engage in long drives.
Generally, the Destination AT2 is praised for its tread durability and longevity. However, there have been sporadic instances where users reported quicker-than-anticipated tread wear. It’s pivotal to note that various factors can influence tire wear, such as driving habits, the condition of the vehicle, regular tire maintenance, and the types of roads traversed.
Firestone Destination AT2 Alternatives
While the Firestone Destination AT2 is a noteworthy performer, exhibiting significant all-terrain capabilities and a potent performance across a spectrum of conditions, it’s invariably judicious to scrutinize other viable options in the all-terrain tire market. This ensures you find an optimal balance between performance and price. Here are three potential alternatives:
FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W
Overall Rating: 9.0 out of 10
- Dry and Wet Weather Performance: Exceptional ratings of 9.4 and 9.0 in dry and wet conditions respectively, indicating reliable traction and handling.
- Winter Weather Performance: With scores of 9.1 and 8.9 in mild and heavy snow grip, and 8.2 in ice grip, this tire offers commendable winter performance.
- Ride Comfort and Road Noise: Scoring 8.9 and 8.6 respectively, this tire provides a comfortable ride with moderate road noise.
SUMITOMO ENCOUNTER AT
Overall Rating: 9.0 out of 10
- Dry and Wet Weather Performance: Impressive scores of 9.4 and 8.8 in dry and wet conditions respectively, suggesting reliable traction and handling.
- Winter Weather Performance: Rated at 9.2, 9.1, and 8.2 for mild snow, heavy snow, and ice grip respectively, it provides reliable winter performance.
- Ride Comfort and Road Noise: Both metrics score 9.0 and 8.7, indicating a balanced combination of comfort and acceptable noise levels.
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT III
Overall Rating: 9.0 out of 10
- Dry and Wet Weather Performance: With scores of 9.4 and 8.9 in dry and wet conditions respectively, this tire ensures solid performance in both scenarios.
- Winter Weather Performance: Rated at 9.1, 8.8, and 8.2 for mild snow, heavy snow, and ice grip respectively, it provides reliable winter performance.
- Ride Comfort and Road Noise: Both metrics score 8.9 and 8.3, indicating a balanced combination of comfort and acceptable noise levels.
While the Firestone Destination AT2 remains a formidable option in the all-terrain tire category, these alternatives each present their own unique strengths, especially in specific areas like winter performance and ride comfort. Your final selection should weigh these factors against your specific driving conditions and preferences, ensuring a choice that aligns seamlessly with your driving needs.
Below are some links you may find helpful when learning about tires
The Firestone Destination AT2 confidently establishes itself as a strong competitor in the all-terrain tire market, showcasing a striking combination of sturdy performance across diverse terrains and notable durability. Its impressive dry grip, adept cornering capabilities, and responsive steering position it as a versatile choice for a wide array of driving environments. Furthermore, its commendable performance in wet and snowy conditions amplifies its well-rounded adaptability.
While the tire does display certain limitations, such as a slightly lower performance on icy surfaces, it counterbalances these minor drawbacks with an excellent comfort level and a reasonably durable tread life. A thorough assessment of these attributes in relation to your specific driving conditions and requirements is essential. The Firestone Destination AT2 emerges as a potentially excellent choice for your vehicle, but it’s vital to consider all factors to ensure your selection harmoniously aligns with your unique needs for safety, comfort, and overall performance.